Get Involved with WRSPC
There are many different ways to get involved in suicide prevention within our community. Whatever way you chose to be involved, we appreciate your contributions to reducing suicide in Waterloo Region.
Volunteer with the WRSPC
Make a Donation to WRSPC
Attend an upcoming WRSPC event
What else can you do in the community?
Talking openly about suicide or organizations that work in suicide prevention, intervention or postvention, signals to others that you are willing and able to have conversations about suicide if and when others need to talk. This may be the simplest step you can take to reducing the stigma around suicide. Other things you can do include:
- Attend community events around suicide prevention and mental health to show your support
- Post numbers for crisis lines around your home, workplace, church, community centres, and anywhere else you can
- Get posters about suicide prevention and/or your local crisis/distress prevention line and post them in your work place and other public places
- Participate in World Suicide Prevention Day events and our annual butterfly release. Mark your calendar for September 10th every year
- Learn all you can about the risk factors and warning signs of suicide, and what you can do if you think someone is at risk
- Talk to family, friends and neighbours about suicide prevention – find ways to introduce it in conversations.
- Sign up for suicide alertness or crisis intervention training such as SafeTAlk or ASIST, offered locally by CMHA
- Volunteer for a different mental health organization or for a local crisis service, such as Here 24/7 through CMHA
- Support and Advocate for mental health promotion in your work place.
- If you notice that someone appears to be unhappy or stressed take the time to ask them how they are and listen. Don’t be afraid to ask directly about suicide – remember, talking about suicide will not cause someone to begin thinking about suicide.
- Encourage your place of faith to talk about suicide and/or host a suicide alertness training workshop.
- Are you a coach, a scout or brownie leader? Learn how to address emotional pain and not just physical pain by attending a workshop.
- Host a third party fundraiser and donate the proceeds to suicide prevention efforts.
- Sign up for our mailing list to learn about upcoming events