Our mission is to reduce suicide and its impact on individuals, families, and communities.
We envision a community where everyone is engaged in suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention.
Click here for a one-page overview of our Mission, Vision, and three key priorities.
Who We Are:
The WRSPC is a nonprofit grassroots organization from Waterloo Region that operates under the supervision of a board and influenced by the voices of our community brought forward through our advisory committee. We strive to maintain equitable representations from professionals/organizations dealing directly with suicidal behavior, associated professionals and gatekeepers, and the community (family, friends and individuals affected by suicide).
The WRSPC focuses on three key priorities for our community to achieve our vision and mission: 1) Building Sense of Community, 2) Education and Training, and 3) Organizational Capacity and Excellence.
Click here to view current staff and council members
In June 1995, a group of over 80 concerned community members and agencies held a meeting to focus on suicide prevention and mental health issues. Committees were developed and in 1997 the Waterloo Region Suicide Prevention Council was established.
The Council continues to grow, and is now recognized locally and provincially for suicide prevention activities.
Supporters and Community Partners
Without the generous, community-minded spirit of our sponsors, partners and friends past and present, the WRSPC would not be where it is today.
- 911 First Responders Baseball Tournament
- Ayr Awareness Event
- Campbell Fence and Deck
- Cambridge Moksha Yoga
- Financial Horizons
- Firehouse Chef
- Karim the Dream
- Peace Love Awareness
- Numerous personal donations
- Cambridge Memorial Hospital
- Canadian Mental Health Association Waterloo Wellington
- Centre for Addictions & Mental Health
- Conestoga College
- Crime Prevention Council
- Grand River Hospital
- Hospice Waterloo and Wellington
- Kitchener Sports Association
- KW Titans
- Mental Health and Wellness Network
- Ontario Funeral Service Association
- People Needing People, Erb & Good Family funeral Home
- Regional Municipality of Waterloo (including Region of Waterloo Public Health)
- Self Help Alliance
- Spiritual Care Grand River Hospital
- St Mary’s General Hospital
- Suicide Awareness for Wilmot-Wellesley
- Suicide Awareness Wellinton Dufferin
- University of Waterloo
- Victim Services
- Waterloo District Catholic School Board
- Waterloo Fire Rescue
- Waterloo Region District School Board
- Waterloo Regional Police
- Wilfrid Laurier University