Believing that every person has the right to be supported in living a healthy positive life, our mission is to reduce suicidal behaviour and its impact on individuals, families, and communities.
Click here for a one-page overview of our Mission, Vision, and Four Key Pillars
Who We Are:
The WRSPC is a non profit, voluntary council comprised of up to 20 representatives from Waterloo Region representing various Sector Networks. The WRSPC strives to maintain equal representations from professionals/organizations dealing directly with suicidal behavior, associated professionals (faith community, teachers) and the community (family, friends and individuals affected by suicide).
The Council promotes a community wide strategy to reduce the incidence of suicidal behavior through public awareness, education, skill development, and public health advocacy. The Council strives to reduce the impact of suicidal behavior through the improvement of services, collection of local statistical data and through community consultation, co-ordination, and collaboration.
Click here to view current staff and council members
In June 1995, a group of over 80 concerned community members and agencies held a meeting to focus on suicide prevention and mental health issues. Committees were developed and in 1997 the Waterloo Region Suicide Prevention Council was established.
The Council continues to grow, and is now recognized locally and provincially for suicide prevention activities.
Supporters and Community Partners
Without the generous, community-minded spirit of our sponsors, partners and friends past and present, the WRSPC would not be where it is today.
- 911 First Responders Baseball Tournament
- Ayr Awareness Event
- Campbell Fence and Deck
- Cambridge Moksha Yoga
- Financial Horizons
- Firehouse Chef
- Karim the Dream
- Peace Love Awareness
- Numerous personal donations
- Cambridge Memorial Hospital
- Canadian Mental Health Association Waterloo Wellington
- Centre for Addictions & Mental Health
- Conestoga College
- Crime Prevention Council
- Grand River Hospital
- Hospice Waterloo and Wellington
- Kitchener Sports Association
- KW Titans
- Mental Health and Wellness Network
- Ontario Funeral Service Association
- People Needing People, Erb & Good Family funeral Home
- Regional Municipality of Waterloo (including Region of Waterloo Public Health)
- Self Help Alliance
- Spiritual Care Grand River Hospital
- St Mary’s General Hospital
- Suicide Awareness for Wilmot-Wellesley
- Suicide Awareness Wellinton Dufferin
- University of Waterloo
- Victim Services
- Waterloo District Catholic School Board
- Waterloo Fire Rescue
- Waterloo Region District School Board
- Waterloo Regional Police
- Wilfrid Laurier University